I've never really read any blogs with regularity - except for "Fugly Horse of the Day" - but it seems to me that most people would start off with a post about their purpose, or theme, or a summary of themselves. Despite the fact that the phrase "The wrong lead, on purpose" is scrawled across the top of this blog, I do not consider myself to be especially contrary. So I suppose I'll do the same:
This blog will probably be no more about any one subject than anyone's life is about any one subject. I am 22 years old, and I graduated from college in May. I've never seen a blog about the floaty, wandery weirdness of post-college, pre-real responsibility existence, so I'm writing one. That's not to suggest that I think anyone will, or ought to, read what I write, or that those of us in this uncomfortable stage have much to say that is worth reading about.
Here is what I know about being a grown-up:
1. Grown-uppedness is not something that one can achieve; no one wakes up one day and goes "Hello, adulthood, I have arrived!" Or, such a person surely is not an adult. Decisions and behaviors are either grown-up, or they are not, but I have never heard of a satisfactory definition of what ratio of grown-up-to-not behaviors makes one an adult. Suffice to say there are grown-ups under the age of 18, and not-grown-ups over the age of 80.
2. "Childhood ends with the realization that mommy and daddy are not perfect, and do not have all the answers. Adulthood begins with the realization that nobody is perfect, and there are no answers. Adolescence is the ugly period in between." I wrote that. I think. And I find it elegant.
That's pretty much it; all I know.
Monday, October 6, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment